Today year 7 welcomed Jocelyn Crocker, Dr Parkinson and Ian Erskine who informed us about Gideons International.
The students watched a DVD showing different ways in how the bible is useful.
The students were given the opportunity to collect their own copy of the Gideon Bible. All the pupils showed great respect and those who did not want one were very polite and said no thank you.
The Gideons’ primary activity is distributing copies of the Bible free of charge. This Bible distribution is a global enterprise taking place in some 200 countries, territories and possessions. The association’s members focus on distributing complete Bibles, New Testaments, or portions thereof. These copies are printed in over 100 languages. The association is most widely known for its Bibles placed in lodging rooms.
The covers of the New Testaments distributed by Gideons are colour-coded based on which groups they are meant for:
- Orange: given in sidewalk distribution
- Green: for college/university students
- Red: for in-school distribution to Secondary school students
- Digital Camouflage/Desert Camouflage: for the military
- Dark blue: printed in a language other than English
- White: for medical professionals
During World War II there was military issued New Testaments, brown for Army and blue for Navy.
In addition, they do desert camouflage and woodland camouflage editions for the military.